Sunday, June 30, 2013

DIY Changing Table

I used to think I was an out of the box thinker, or at least somewhat so.  Then I met Matt and boy was I wrong. The challenge is that while I end up loving what we do when we follow Matt the process kills me.  As it turns out I'm also a check list kinda girl.  Pre Matt I probably would've just walked into  Babies R Us and picked out a crib, changing table and dresser and then Check Check Check-DONE.  Now...not so much. 

Matt is also big on giving baby girl 2 something of her own.  I love the thought behind it but I do find it interesting giving that he's a first born and never had to deal with hand me downs. 

We've been looking and found this on ETSY Changing Table




There are two main issues with this piece
1.) it's $365
2.) it's in norther NJ and they don't ship

At the point at which Matt suggested we go up there and rent a truck to bring it back I knew we may have to have a reality check.  That's when Matt found this....one that I had seen but not given two thoughts about because....well look
Luckily my husband has a keen eye for detail and realized right away it's the same one but for $75.00 and in Gaithersburg MD. He headed up there today to pick it up.  When I asked him what he thought he only responded "good bones".  He's right, good bones indeed but damn.  It stunk of cigarettes.  It needed a good cleaning.  Then as we started to disassemble it we found this:
Why yes, that is a Trojan.  The only bonus is that it was unused. 


So now the plan is to sand it down, stain the top dark, paint it an off white, remove the plexiglass and cover it in a coral based fabric and then add some fancy knobs.  Here's hoping it works out!  Pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment